Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I think I can, I think I can

Well here I am, week number 2. I'm now able to run 2 miles, and I've increased my speed on the the treadmill by .1 mph. I'm not too worried about timing, but I'd eventually like to be able to run a 10 minute mile. Right now I run so slow, someone with long legs would probably be able to walk next to me. Why was I cursed with such stubby legs!! Oh well. I'll get there :)
When I first started running, I'd try to run really fast for as long as I could, thinking I would be able to run further and further. But I found myself running a quarter mile, and on the verge of blacking out. So my advice to anyone starting out, start SLOW and take tiny steps. My father in law, Marcos, taught me that. It's called a shuffle in the runnung world. Did I mention he's training me? Anyone that knows me well, knows that I haven't always had the best realtionship with him. But when I told him I wanted to train for a half, his eyes lit up. Running is his passion. He's done several marathons, and regularly races 5 and 10k's. So far, he's been extremely helpful with technique and training methods. I ran with him at the olympic oval last Saturday, and really enjoyed it. All in all, this running business has been a good thing so far. I'm getting into better shape, feeling good, and building a better relationship with Marcos. Who knew ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment